Keeping your carpets clean is challenging, especially if you have pets or small children. Spot cleaning and frequent vacuuming does
help, but a household vacuum misses a lot of dirt and some stains require professional cleaning. Regular steam cleaning may increase the life of the carpet and keep it functional for longer. If you are leasing your house in Adelaide, your rental agreement will include professional carpet cleaning when you move out, or maybe once a year.
Why steam cleaning?
Steam cleaning is the method most recommended by carpet manufacturers. In this method, the carpet is first pre-conditioned with alkaline or acidic detergent solutions (depending on whether your carpet is synthetic or woollen) and then agitated with a grooming brush or a scrubbing machine. A pressurised cleaning tool is then moved over the carpet to rinse out all the dirt along with the cleaning solution. The carpet will dry out in 12-24 hours. When using a high power truck-mounted system, the carpet dries faster.
Tips for keeping your carpet clean
In order to keep your carpet clean and well-maintained, you have to vacuum it regularly. Invest in a powerful, yet easy-to-use vacuum cleaner with HEPA filters which will not shoot dust into the air.
• High-traffic areas like hallway, living room and corridors should be vacuumed daily or at least twice a week. Other areas like bedrooms may be vacuumed once a week or once a fortnight depending on usage. If you have pets, you will need to vacuum daily.
• Make it a practice to remove outside shoes on entering the house. Consider changing to indoor shoes or slippers so that outside dirt is not tracked in to the carpet. If you have pets, wipe off their feet before entering the house. The extra effort will be worth it by reducing the dirt and wear on your carpet.
• It is advisable to have area rugs or carpet runners in high traffic areas if you have pets or young children. Choose small rugs which can easily be washed in the washing machine or cleaned by a professional on a regular basis.
• Spot clean messes immediately. Do not try to rub out liquid spills. Instead, use cloth or paper towels to absorb as much of the liquid as possible. A few drops of dishwashing liquid mixed with water works as well as carpet or rug cleaners for most messes. Use a spray bottle to apply over the area and leave it for a few minutes. Remember to alternate wet and dry towels to rinse out the soap residue.
• Professional carpet cleaning is recommended at least once a year. If you are in Adelaide, choose a reputed local cleaner who has IICRC certification.